Tuesday 20 October 2015

Why 'AN ANCHOR FOR MY SOUL'?

‘An anchor for my soul’ and ‘Afloat on the ocean of life’ are two lines from a song called ‘Land Ho!’ by British rock group, Supertramp. This song really resonates with me for some reason and I find some of the lyrics particularly poignant. I think we all need an anchor for our soul; a calm centre of being – something that brings peace and contentment – something the roots us (and routes us) in the world. Personally I don’t think this is something centred around a person or place because these are things that ultimately we have no control over. This is part of who we are and what makes us happy. Sadly some people may never find that inner core of happiness, some may never even know to look. I am lucky enough to have found my anchor.

 Sewing is the anchor for my soul.

Rarely does a day go by that I hasn’t seen me sewing something. If I can’t actually get to my sewing machine, I am hand sewing, or designing, scribbling and planning the next project. I even take sewing on holiday with me. At the moment I am making boat curtains – much the same as house curtains only these generally aren’t more than 2 foot long, but they are some really odd shapes, and there are lots of them – the boat I am doing at the moment has 26 curtains! That’s bread and butter sewing, the stuff I really love is patchwork. I love the way everything fits together and take great pleasure in making things as accurately as possible. I am not so good at random or spontaneous stuff – I leave that to those who excel at such things. I particularly enjoy foundation piecing which is an excellent method of reproducing complicated blocks.

This pattern was from PAPER PANACHE in the USA

No comments:

Post a Comment